In the spirit of Independence Day, we’re feeling pretty boastful of all things America. From jaw-dropping national landmarks to the freedom of choice, there’s plenty to celebrate. With input from our savvy StrollerTraffic Scouts and been-there-done-that editors—all across the country—here are 20 reasons that we absolutely love being parents in the USA.
1. Their votes will matter.
2. Someday she could try out for the lead role in a Rent revival.
3. Breast pumps are covered by insurance. (Finally.)
4. Eating an ice cream cone on the deck of the Old Faithful Inn as the geyser erupts.
5. St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.
6. Choices in education. (Even for preschool.)
7. Drinkable water.
8. The Golden Gate Bridge on a foggy day.
9. Aspirations of joining the MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, or WNBA—not to mention Team USA.
10. Sesame Place, Six Flags, Hersheypark, LEGOland . . . love ‘em or loathe ‘em, they’re fantasy at its best.
11. Level IV NICUs.
12. Zulily. Gilt Baby & Kids. Little Rue.
13. Gender equality in education and employment may not be perfect, but it’s getting there.
14. Powerful passports.
15. Siesta Key Beach. Best sand in the world. No, really.
16. Forty-nine out of 50 states (c’mon, Idaho) allow mothers to breastfeed in any public or private location.
17. Tater tots. S’mores. Mac n’ cheese.
18. Family selfies during a Grand Canyon sunrise.
19. Maurice Sendak, Ezra Jack Keats, Eric Carle, and Mo Willems.
20. They can marry whomever they love.